Helping All Premedical Students Prepare a Successful Application
Who would benefit from Newport Premedical Consulting, LLC?
Newport Premedical Consulting, LLC can help anyone looking at a career in medicine: High school students, college students, graduate students. Newport offers supportive student-centered advising and assistance to navigate the complicated application process to medical school.
Here are some possible topics of discussion but honestly, any topic can be discussed at any time. The most important thing to remember is your best chance of getting into medical school is START PLANNING EARLY.
- How to get the most out your undergraduate premed experience.
- Suggested order to take premed classes.
- Using AP or not?
- Summer opportunity discussion.
- How to get to know faculty, doctors and premed advisors .
- Learn about college scholarships for outstanding leadership qualifications.
- Getting to know prerequisites.
- Developing Volunteer, Research, Leadership resume.
- Tips on how and where to get help BEFORE you need it! Tutoring, Advising, mentors.
- Tips on building your team of professors, advisors and trusted friends.
- Get to know well at least 2 faculty each semester.
- Discuss how to develop a leadership portfolio.
- Discussion about research opportunities for all majors.
- Grounding interest in medicine through clinical and volunteer experiences. Don't tell me you want to be a doctor, show me. Remember Medicine is an evidence-based profession so show evidence of your motivation. We will discuss how to gain these experiences.
- Study abroad or not?
- Defer or not?
- Timeline discussion.
- Major choice discussion and suggested classes to diversify curriculum.
- Review prerequisite coursework depending on medical school selection.
- Discussion about preparing the application, gathering the components, filling the gaps.
- Discussion about Early Action, Early Decision or Regular Decision.
- Discussion about the writing components: essays, clinical experiences. Start drafts, seek peer opinions, see Campus Writing Center.
- Discussion about (realistic) list of medical school and searching prerequisites.
- Discuss DO, MD, Offshore options.
- Identify weaknesses early enough to do something about them.
- Discuss MCAT Preparation and timing.
- Defer or not? Postbac or not?
- Plan to submit in June/early July. Do not wait until September!
- Take a GAP year or not?
Career Changers and Non-Traditional Applicants
- Discussion about sequencing of courses, prerequisite matches, expired coursework.
- Timeline discussion.
- MCAT old or new? Expired scores and retakes.
- Postbac and graduate school options
- Packaging work experience, leadership, life experience in cohesive application to medical school
Medical School Reapplicants
- How has your application significantly improved since you last applied?
- Identify your weaknesses and how have you addressed them?
- Identify improvements in application.
- Discussion about postbac programs, additional coursework, graduate programs, course retakes, MCAT retake.